Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)

Lessons from Dutch Welfare Reform

Welfare advocates regularly urge Americans to look to the European welfare state as a model. At least in the case of the Netherlands, they might be on to something.

The Dutch have just announced a massive reform of their welfare system, designed to reduce dependency and put a new emphasis on work. For example, welfare applicants will now be required to prove that they spent at least 4 weeks actively searching for a job before they become eligible for any assistance. And once they begin to receive benefits they will either have to work or perform volunteer community service. Dutch welfare recipients would be required to take available jobs even if they had to move or commute up to three hours per day.

Given that just 42 percent of U.S. welfare recipients are engaged in even broadly defined work activities (including job training, college, or job search), and that an attempt to restore work requirements to the food stamp program has been met with a storm of resistance, the Dutch appear to be much more pro-work than we are.
    http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/...welfare-reform

Honestly, given the stated aims of the programs, is there any reason to not have such requirements?
    I have found that if you wander far enough to either the Left or the Right, you find yourself emerging from the other side of things surrounded by some twisted version of your starting point, as though traveling along some aeternal Möbius strip. Perhaps Hegel's syntheses were little more than the point at which, having run as far and fast as possible to escape our point of origin, we find ourselves on the other side of the point where we began.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,338 Times in 10,031 Posts
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1491 Post(s)
    There are those who truly cannot work. And those people we the people should care for.

Those who can work should by all means be out there trying to find work or have at least a 20 hour community service job to go to each week...

I remember a few years ago a woman felt she should do something for her welfare so she saved a little money each month until she could buy sme paint. She painted some benches in a public park and was charged with defacing public property.... We can't get much dumber than that.
    If Zombies are chasing us, I'm tripping you.

Metastatic
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfc Ollie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are those who truly cannot work.
    True, however they are a small minority and should (and generally dfo) qualify for programs specific to them- SSDI, for example. I figured such exceptions would go without saying, but I suppose that doesn't always hold true when it comes to political matters.

I remember a few years ago a woman felt she should do something for her welfare so she saved a little money each month until she could buy sme paint. She painted some benches in a public park and was charged with defacing public property.... We can't get much dumber than that.
    Please don't say such things. They might take it as a challenge and set forth to prove you wrong...
    I have found that if you wander far enough to either the Left or the Right, you find yourself emerging from the other side of things surrounded by some twisted version of your starting point, as though traveling along some aeternal Möbius strip. Perhaps Hegel's syntheses were little more than the point at which, having run as far and fast as possible to escape our point of origin, we find ourselves on the other side of the point where we began.