Thanked 1,153 Times in 692 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    699 Post(s)

Elizabeth Warren and DNA

Elizabeth Warren has been asked to take a DNA test to prove whether she is Native American. So far she has refused.

As long as I can remember, my parents said I was one sixteenth Indian, probably Osage. Since then, my niece has traced my genealogy to my great great grandparents. She has been unable to go any further. It does not appear that any of my ancestors up through my great great grandparents were Native American. If one of my great great grandparents was Native American, I would be one sixteenth Native American.

My maternal grandfather looked like he was a Native American.

I took a DNA test several years ago. My ancestors, according to the DNA, are primarily English, Irish and Scottish with a bit of Western Europe. I have a few other regions down in the 1% range, but none showing Native American.
    Life is more fun, if you do not take it too seriously.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gentlegiant For This Useful Post:

DiveCon (03-13-2018)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,586 Times in 9,545 Posts
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)
    I would have serious doubts if I had any Native American... Mary definitely had it... Listed on her Dad's Death certificate under race was Mexican and Apache.
    If Zombies are chasing us, I'm tripping you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    699 Post(s)
    My wife's maternal grandmother has some Indian characteristics and my wife thought she was part Indian. However, my wife's DNA does not show Native American either.

I do not know how accurate these tests are.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)
    Not so sure I'd trust them 100%....

R U ready 4 some FOOTBALL !!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,640 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1059 Post(s)
    I'd thought i'd have about 1/64th native, but i did the 23 and me DNA test and 0% Native, 100% European, but i was also surprised 0% Irish, and also shocked to find .3% Italian
    I'm 55% English/Scottish and 22% Swedish(knew that as my moms parents were from Sweden)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    23 and me is not a well rated test.....i think the ancestry one is the highest rated.....

i dont get the desire to know....sorry i just dont care...why look in the rear view mirror?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    699 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    23 and me is not a well rated test.....i think the ancestry one is the highest rated.....

i dont get the desire to know....sorry i just dont care...why look in the rear view mirror?
    I have had the Y-DNA and the test which looks at all your possible relatives. Just curiosity. As I get older, I get more interested.

My niece has been doing the family genealogy for the past ten or twenty years and my wife has a cousin who has been doing it for her family much longer than that. So our children, have pretty complete picture. My wife is related to Charlemagne and Charles the Hammer. I think most people with British background might be related to Charlemagne Charles the Hammer.

I don't guess there is a really practical reason for knowing, but it is fascinating. My wife has my family name in her ancestors back many generations and I have some of her ancestral family names in my ancestors.

I have a great grandmother who just flat disappeared. We have no idea where she went after my great grandfather died or where she is buried. All the people in my family who might have known passed away before I became interested. My niece and I occasionally run into something which might be a clue, but it has never panned out.

We use findagrave.com as a help to adding to our genealogy. I was very active in findagrave.com at one time. I have spent many years wandering around old cemeteries.

Everyone needs a hobby.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    699 Post(s)
    I think my interest started in this when someone asked about my Dad's birthplace. He was born in Indian Springs Missouri. Indian Springs no longer exists. My Dad passed away a few days before I was born and until I got older, I did not care. I was probably around sixty when I decided to find Indian Springs. I went to our county seat and found the cemetery listed, but no one knew where it was located. After a bit of research I found the cemetery. It was overrun with brush and weeds. I found some of my ancestors grave's including my great grandfather's grave. Since then the cemetery has been cleaned up.

The town of Indian Springs is fascinating. The town came alive in the 1880s when it was discovered that Indian Spring had "healing waters". A town of a few thousand people virtually came alive overnight. They dammed Indian Creek and had a fairly large lake. They had a side wheeler steam boat which took people for rides. The built a sanatorium. By about 1900, it started disappearing when a railroad was built about twenty miles away. Most of the people, including my Grandfather moved to Anderson Missouri where I grew up.

Now, when you go to Indian Springs, there is almost no evidence of there ever being a town. Remains of the dam can be found and the cemetery, of course, but that is about it. I was able to find exactly where my great grandfather's farm was located. No house remains. It is part of a larger farm.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1433 Post(s)
    I can't go back as far as some but I can verify that one of my Great, great, great Great Grandfathers was the brother of Chief Justice John C Marshal. Who I believe was a maternal cousin of Thomas Jefferson...