Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxfyre View Post
    I have no problem with arresting people who threaten violence against other people. I only wish the law was applied evenly across the board. Somehow all threats against leftists/Democrats/liberals are counted to be really sinister by the leftwing media, and of course they are all President Trump's fault. Threats, even full out assault, on conservatives, not so much and those are never anybody's fault.

Consider the mob who descended on Mitch McConnell's home recently. Those people were shouting unspeakable vulgar and deadly acts against Senator McConnell. How much did you see that featured on the news? Any arrests? I don't think so. And this was given only momentary notice in the leftwing media if it was reported at all. But the guy who posted AOC should be shot has been mentioned in every newspaper and featured at length on television.

He didn't even say do it. It was a remark that any of us could make "He should be shot - he should be hung - he should be horse whipped" and such when we don't mean it literally.
    I get the unfairness of media attention. While those people in front of McConnell's house can say what they want, it certainly seems to me that they were disturbing the peace. I can burn my flag, on my property, but the police will arrest me if the burning 'might' cause damage to other's property or threatens other's well being.

The guy making the AOC threatening statement had two things against him: 1. He was a felon. 2. He said he had the means, (gun) to act on the threat.
    I agree that we don't know enough about that situation to know whether he should or should not have been arrested. But certainly a person with a criminal record for violence must be taken more seriously in these things.

But for the most part, the "I'd like to punch him in the nose" or "he/she should be shot" or hung or whatever quips are just American ways of expressing either humor or displeasure with somebody and pose no implied or actual threat of any kind.

One of my own quips when persons I strongly disagree with and/or disapprove of are erroneously or falsely accused: "Of course he/she should be hung, but he/she is being hung for the wrong crime." It is just the way even the most non violent and non offensive Americans sometimes talk.
    Only the mediocre are always at their best.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxfyre For This Useful Post:

Annie (08-12-2019), Extraram (08-13-2019)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,304 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    693 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I have no problem with arresting people who threaten violence against other people. I only wish the law was applied evenly across the board. Somehow all threats against leftists/Democrats/liberals are counted to be really sinister by the leftwing media, and of course they are all President Trump's fault. Threats, even full out assault, on conservatives, not so much and those are never anybody's fault.

Consider the mob who descended on Mitch McConnell's home recently. Those people were shouting unspeakable vulgar and deadly acts against Senator McConnell. How much did you see that featured on the news? Any arrests? I don't think so. And this was given only momentary notice in the leftwing media if it was reported at all. But the guy who posted AOC should be shot has been mentioned in every newspaper and featured at length on television.

He didn't even say do it. It was a remark that any of us could make "He should be shot - he should be hung - he should be horse whipped" and such when we don't mean it literally.
    I get the unfairness of media attention. While those people in front of McConnell's house can say what they want, it certainly seems to me that they were disturbing the peace. I can burn my flag, on my property, but the police will arrest me if the burning 'might' cause damage to other's property or threatens other's well being.

The guy making the AOC threatening statement had two things against him: 1. He was a felon. 2. He said he had the means, (gun) to act on the threat.
    I agree that we don't know enough about that situation to know whether he should or should not have been arrested. But certainly a person with a criminal record for violence must be taken more seriously in these things.

But for the most part, the "I'd like to punch him in the nose" or "he/she should be shot" or hung or whatever quips are just American ways of expressing either humor or displeasure with somebody and pose no implied or actual threat of any kind.

One of my own quips when persons I strongly disagree with and/or disapprove of are erroneously or falsely accused: "Of course he/she should be hung, but he/she is being hung for the wrong crime." It is just the way even the most non violent and non offensive Americans sometimes talk.
    I'm pretty sure they got the gun upon arrest.
    “To learn who rules over you, find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.” — Voltaire