This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by DiveCon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxfyre View Post

Can you read linked articles Steve? From four days ago:

https://www.yesmagazine.org/environm...nd-management/

The money paragraph in that article:
    . . .Historically, bushfires in Australia were a lot less common than they are today. Climate change is partially to blame. Temperatures have risen dramatically in Australia over the last century, causing more extreme droughts and unpredictable fire seasons. But the ongoing impacts of colonialism—including poor land management—is also part of the puzzle. For tens of thousands of years, Aboriginal Australians managed their environment through controlled burns. These fires continue to shape Australia’s landscape. In the Central Arnhem region in northern Australia, for example, a study found kangaroos were more abundant in areas that had been burned by Aboriginal people, because the grass in burned areas was more nitrogen-rich than grass in non-burned areas. . .
    ]
    And goes to to explain by some modern means of land management to control fires has not helped much, if at all, but that the Aboriginal approach is likely the way to go.
    there are videos of Aussies on youtube screaming and cussing about the way they were NOT allowed to do proper fire breaks and controlled burns of the puckerbrush to remove the fuel that drives these wildfires
    but Steve knows everything about everywhere better than everyone else does
    Well we have folks in America who choose one set of 'facts' over another and don't consider the whole picture too. Our climate change religionists here will probably going to their graves as to how much more destructive and costly in lives and treasure tornadoes and hurricanes and such are now compared to 100 years ago. And they strongly believe that climate change is the whole reason for it.

But they don't consider that in 1900 there were 1.6 billion people on Earth. Now there are 7.8 billion people on Earth. And most of the increase has been in coastal cities and roughly half the world's population lives within 60 miles of an ocean. So of course big storms are going to cause much more havoc with people than they once did. And because we have increased our ability to see what is going on all over the planet, we are aware of the fires and storms much more than we did when the world was much emptier.

Australia's population was 4 million in 1900. It is just under 25 million now with almost all the increase in coastal cities.
    Well that is all true but in the last 10 years

Australia has been getting hotter, Mankind is responsible of much of the climate change and its rapidity,,,There are many examples throughout the world but the most stark

is the Loss of the Aral Sea and its surrounds in the attempt by the Russians to grow rice!!!!!in the region

When Alexander the Great travelled from Macedonia he and his Army could go by sea and waterways to first reach the Aral Sea on to the Caspian Sea to the Oxus River

System,he built castles throughout the rivers,so the water must have been flowing a long time...I have seen first hand this area and it is surreal to see the ex river beds
    in canyons and see what water levels were reached,,,and yes in the Aral Sea driven across its water less bed to reach the wind blown rusting hulks abandoned by the

fishing company that once had a thriving industry in this once healthy Lake/Sea and river system...NOW JUST MINI SAND DRIFTS AND DEBRIS...YOU ARE SO RIGHT IN

YOUR COMPARISON FIGURES Foxy... BUT I INTERPRET THE POPULATION GROWTH AS UNSUSTAINABLE I can only suggest all males take the male-contraceptive pill,they

put it in te heel of their shoe AND IT MAKES THEM LIMP...but seriously we have lost so many species lately,they all affect the balance...in the end the results of climate

change will kill us all

What can we do to prevent this...plenty if we have the will I wish to thank you and Dive...but I still think you are climate fence sitters...make sure you both fall the right way...PLEASE

steve

R U ready 4 some FOOTBALL !!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,670 Times in 2,062 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1370 Post(s)

Can you read linked articles Steve? From four days ago:

https://www.yesmagazine.org/environm...nd-management/

The money paragraph in that article:
    . . .Historically, bushfires in Australia were a lot less common than they are today. Climate change is partially to blame. Temperatures have risen dramatically in Australia over the last century, causing more extreme droughts and unpredictable fire seasons. But the ongoing impacts of colonialism—including poor land management—is also part of the puzzle. For tens of thousands of years, Aboriginal Australians managed their environment through controlled burns. These fires continue to shape Australia’s landscape. In the Central Arnhem region in northern Australia, for example, a study found kangaroos were more abundant in areas that had been burned by Aboriginal people, because the grass in burned areas was more nitrogen-rich than grass in non-burned areas. . .
    ]
    And goes to to explain by some modern means of land management to control fires has not helped much, if at all, but that the Aboriginal approach is likely the way to go.
    there are videos of Aussies on youtube screaming and cussing about the way they were NOT allowed to do proper fire breaks and controlled burns of the puckerbrush to remove the fuel that drives these wildfires
    Well we have folks in America who choose one set of 'facts' over another and don't consider the whole picture too. Our climate change religionists here will probably going to their graves as to how much more destructive and costly in lives and treasure tornadoes and hurricanes and such are now compared to 100 years ago. And they strongly believe that climate change is the whole reason for it.

But they don't consider that in 1900 there were 1.6 billion people on Earth. Now there are 7.8 billion people on Earth. And most of the increase has been in coastal cities and roughly half the world's population lives within 60 miles of an ocean. So of course big storms are going to cause much more havoc with people than they once did. And because we have increased our ability to see what is going on all over the planet, we are aware of the fires and storms much more than we did when the world was much emptier.

Australia's population was 4 million in 1900. It is just under 25 million now with almost all the increase in coastal cities.
    and the exact same situation with the wildfires in AU, as in California, they stop the proper fire control(IE clearing out the deadwood/puckerbrush) management is happening in BOTH places due to "environmentalist" complaints

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1286 Post(s)

and the exact same situation with the wildfires in AU, as in California, they stop the proper fire control(IE clearing out the deadwood/puckerbrush) management is happening in BOTH places due to "environmentalist" complaints
    Dive it is impossible to clear dead puckerbrush in uninhabited areas,unless you back burn in more temperate conditions as the Aboriginal nations have done for 40,000 years,You will note Western Australia by far the largest and hottest State had the fewest FIRES OF ALL STATES due to best practice and the use of Aboriginal Fire personal, who live their country

We are teaching Cali., these methods.....steven

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,709 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    936 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theliq View Post

Australia has been getting hotter, Mankind is responsible of much of the climate change and its rapidity,,,There are many examples throughout the world but the most stark

is the Loss of the Aral Sea and its surrounds in the attempt by the Russians to grow rice!!!!!in the region

When Alexander the Great travelled from Macedonia he and his Army could go by sea and waterways to first reach the Aral Sea on to the Caspian Sea to the Oxus River

System,he built castles throughout the rivers,so the water must have been flowing a long time...I have seen first hand this area and it is surreal to see the ex river beds
    in canyons and see what water levels were reached,,,and yes in the Aral Sea driven across its water less bed to reach the wind blown rusting hulks abandoned by the

fishing company that once had a thriving industry in this once healthy Lake/Sea and river system...NOW JUST MINI SAND DRIFTS AND DEBRIS...YOU ARE SO RIGHT IN

YOUR COMPARISON FIGURES Foxy... BUT I INTERPRET THE POPULATION GROWTH AS UNSUSTAINABLE I can only suggest all males take the male-contraceptive pill,they

put it in te heel of their shoe AND IT MAKES THEM LIMP...but seriously we have lost so many species lately,they all affect the balance...in the end the results of climate

change will kill us all

What can we do to prevent this...plenty if we have the will I wish to thank you and Dive...but I still think you are climate fence sitters...make sure you both fall the right way...PLEASE

steve
    I don't deny humankind can drastically alter their environment and it is not always for the best. And certainly increasing the world population from fewer than a billion at the beginning of the industrial revolution to the almost 8 billion that it is now has had an impact as would such an increase in any other species. But the Earth is nowhere near as warm as it has been in the paleontological record and CO2 levels are not as high as they have ever been.

I believe climate shifts, quick one or slow ones, are mostly due to forces over which humankind has no control at all. In my part of the world, extreme drought and heat spanning decades drove the Anazazis from their ancestral homes. And that was a millenia before the industrial revolution, so it certainly was not due to human activity.

I am as strong and passionate an environmentalist as you will find. But I think much of climate science is economics driven and has only marginal basis in scientific evidence. And I am simply not willing to give up our liberties, choices, options, and opportunities based on what is likely flawed science.
    Only the mediocre are always at their best.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxfyre For This Useful Post:

bella-day (01-19-2020), DiveCon (01-19-2020), Extraram (01-20-2020), Sfc Ollie (01-19-2020), theliq (01-20-2020)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1286 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theliq View Post

change will kill us all

steve
    I don't deny humankind can drastically alter their environment and it is not always for the best. And certainly increasing the world population from fewer than a billion at the beginning of the industrial revolution to the almost 8 billion that it is now has had an impact as would such an increase in any other species. But the Earth is nowhere near as warm as it has been in the paleontological record and CO2 levels are not as high as they have ever been.

I believe climate shifts, quick one or slow ones, are mostly due to forces over which humankind has no control at all. In my part of the world, extreme drought and heat spanning decades drove the Anazazis from their ancestral homes. And that was a millenia before the industrial revolution, so it certainly was not due to human activity.

I am as strong and passionate an environmentalist as you will find. But I think much of climate science is economics driven and has only marginal basis in scientific evidence. And I am simply not willing to give up our liberties, choices, options, and opportunities based on what is likely flawed science.
    Hi Foxy,great post by the way...The Anazazis were an amazing culture,equal if not better than the Mayan and Inca Civilisations...Many parts of the Earth have had periods of HOT AND COLD even during a 24 hour period(try the Sahara for starters,which is insufferable daytime heat and bitterly cold nights) The Sahara was once lush but today desertfication the climate changes every day.

The rapidity of climate change since the beginning of the I.Rev.,this is not flawed science but fact,humankind can make a massive change and difference...I was right about you and Dive...you are the Classico Fence-Sitters...Foxy you just want to keep the Status-Quo...Climate Denial is completely economics driven...There was a famous native American,Sitting Bull I think but you would know....He stated THAT THE AMERICAN WHITE MAN COULD NEVER BE TRUSTED AND WILL NOT BE SATISFIED UNTIL EVERY LIVING TREE,PLANT,ANIMAL,RIVER AND STREAM WAS DEAD,,,or words to that effect

We all have a collective responsiblity -------either we have to change or we end up like the Anazazis,I had to raise my eyebrows when you stated you are an Environmentalist,now what version would that be I wonder...you're grandchildren and those who come after, I wonder WHAT LIBERTIES,CHOICES,OPTIONS AND OPPORTUNITIES WILL YOU LEAVE THEM I WONDER ,,,They will say,WHY DID THEY SAY IT WAS FLAWED SCIENCE??????????????????????? steven,nothing personal Foxy...but I'm right...again wonderful post Lady